Jeff Brown joins the show to share what the most successful leaders have in common: reading. Find out how it unlocks limitless creativity and influence.
This episode is sponsored by LinkedIn Jobs. When your business is ready to make that next hire, LinkedIn Jobs can help by matching your role with qualified candidates so that you can find the right person quickly. You can pay what you want and get the first $50 off. Just visit linkedin.com/timecrafting to get fifty dollars off your first job post. Terms and conditions apply.
This episode is sponsored by Sit Down, Startup, a new weekly podcast from Zendesk. Getting your business off the ground is hard. Find out why customer experience is at the heart of success. The startup’s team chats with Zendesk leaders, founders, and CEOs in a coffee-shop style conversation about starting up when the world is upside down. Catch weekly fresh new episodes on Apple, Google, and Spotify. Head over to Sit Down, Startup here.
Jeff Brown was a reluctant reader at school, but he fell in love with it when he had to learn more about marketing in his career. Jeff is a podcaster, mentor, and speaker, with a mission to help people like you bridge the gap between intention and implementation. He does this primarily through public speaking, mastermind groups, membership platforms, courses, coaching, and consulting.
I’m excited to learn more about his latest book, which co-authored with Jesse Wisnewski, ‘Read to Lead: The Simple Habit That Expands Your Influence and Boosts Your Career’. In this productive conversation we explore book clubs, speed reading, being a co-author, the free library movement – and why there will always be a place for books. Be sure to check out the links for all the books we mentioned in this interview!
- Jeff’s relationship with reading
- The co-authoring experience
- Reading books digitally versus physically
- When to keep or let go of books
- The books Jeff re-reads the most
- Interesting findings from writing the book
- A process for skim reading
- The benefits of having a book club
“We are all lifelong learners.“– Jeff Brown
- ‘Read To Lead’ by Jeff Brown and Jesse Wisnewski
- Episode 343: Consistency Over Authenticity with Seth Godin
- ‘Purple Cow’ by Seth Godin
- How to Be a Better Reader – YouTube
- Episode 360: A World Without Email with Cal Newport
- Episode 229: Exploring Digital Minimalism with Cal Newport
- Episode 73: Deep Work with Cal Newport
- ‘Digital Minimalism’ by Cal Newport
- ‘Punch Failure in the Face’ by David Knapp-Fisher
- ‘Anything You Want’ by Derek Sivers
- ‘The Five Dysfunctions of a Team’ by Patrick M. Lencioni
- ‘Die Empty: Unleash Your Best Work Every Day’ by Todd Henry
- Episode 340: Your Motivation Code with Todd Henry
- Episode 54: Voice Lessons with Todd Henry
- ‘Multipliers: How the Best Leaders Make Everyone Smart’ by Liz Wiseman
- ‘How to Take Smart Notes’ by Sönke Ahrens
- ‘Getting Things Done’ by David Allen
- Episode 203: The Evolution of Getting Things Done with David Allen
- ‘Greenlights’ by Matthew McConaughey
- ‘The Greatest Salesman in the World’ by Og Mandino
- Read To Lead Podcast
Enjoy the show? Want to keep up with the podcast? You can subscribe to the podcast feed by clicking the “Share” button in the player above – and you can share it further using the same button as well. You can take things even one step further by rating and reviewing the show wherever you listen to podcasts. (FYI: I use Overcast on iOS.)
Do you want ideas, insights, and information on how to craft your time in just one weekly email?
Then you want ATTN: sent to you.
ATTN: is a weekly digest from Productivityist that delivers a week's worth of content in a nice little package directly to your inbox. Just enter your email to subscribe.