Seth Godin is a consistent player in the entrepreneurial space, influencing millions to embrace their inner-creative and best serve their audience. In today’s episode we uncover how you can make that impact.
This episode is sponsored by TextExpander. With TextExpander, you can unlock your productivity with its many features. With TextExpander you can make everything you write repetitively available everywhere you type: text documents, spreadsheets, web forms, and more. Unlock your productivity with TextExpander. Visit TextExpander.com/podcast for 20% off your first year.
This episode is sponsored by Setapp, a large collection of 200+ powerful Mac apps, for almost any task, available by subscription. It’s the best way to discover new, quality apps so you can get all the tools you need to be productive. Plans start from $9.99 per month. With this flat monthly fee you get access to full-featured pro versions of apps, including Ulysses, MindNode and CleanMyMacX. Head over to Setapp.com for a one week free trial today.
I want to share with you today The NOW Year Calendar 2021 edition, from my partnership with the team at NeuYear. It’s a wall calendar that comes in both a tall and wide format to help you plan out the year, and it’s based on my TimeCrafting methodology. If you follow my 30 Days of TimeCrafting program, you can choose your Annual Axiom and put it at the top of this calendar, along with adding Daily Themes to the mix. Simply go to Productivityist.com/NeuYear and then enter the discount code PODCAST to get 10% off your order. 2020 is rapidly coming to a close, so it’s time to start planning the next year now.
Seth Godin has had a huge influence over my career, so I’m excited to bring him on (again) to hear about his latest projects and new book ‘The Practice: Shipping Creative Work’. As my first guest on the podcast I did as a productivity parodist, there’s lots to catch up on.
This interview is full of countless gems, but what really stands out is being consistent with whatever it is that you want to achieve. In his own words, the toughest part is that “you have to show up, even if you don’t feel like it”.
Seth blogs daily. He’s been doing it for years now. He’s built a huge following with over a million readers, and is the author of over 19 books, including Purple Cow, Linchpin, and This Is Marketing. He’s also the founder of the altMBA and The Akimbo Workshops, which runs online seminars that have transformed the work of thousands of people.
Join our conversation as we explore indispensable tools, inbox zero, working with intent – and his 16ft cedar strip canoe.
- Applying assertion to our work (2:54)
- Why Imposter Syndrome doesn’t go away (4:12)
- You don’t even need to meet your mentors (5:18)
- Seth’s daily boundaries (7:19)
- Impact of 2020 on his blogging (8:34)
- Seth’s attitude towards uncertainty (10:35)
- Defining good taste (12:22)
- What we actually mean by ‘hacking’ (29:05)
- Seth’s relationship with ‘trap’ emails (32:22)
- The trap people fall into when chasing authenticity (34:11)
“Know what your audience wants ten minutes before they do.”– Seth Godin
- The Practice: Shipping Creative Work | Amazon
- Episode 334: Endless Curiosity with Derek Sivers
- Hyperfocus: How to Be More Productive in a World of Distraction | Amazon
- The Productivity Project: Accomplishing More by Managing Your Time, Attention, and Energy | Amazon
- ‘How To Get Your Ideas To Spread’ TED Talk
- Necessary Endings| Amazon
- Ron Finley Teaches Gardening Masterclass
- Inbox Zero: How to Stop Checking Email and Start Finishing It | Amazon
- The Authentic Swing | Amazon
Enjoy the show? Want to keep up with the podcast? You can subscribe to the podcast feed by clicking the “Share” button in the player above – and you can share it further using the same button as well. You can take things even one step further by rating and reviewing the show wherever you listen to podcasts. (FYI: I use Overcast on iOS.)