After reading a comment on YouTube about how to earn a good income without a boring job, today’s guest Joe Barnes made it his mission to find a framework that enables this. Hint: there are three ways.
This episode is sponsored by Tile. We all know someone (and maybe it’s not you) that’s constantly losing their stuff. This is where Tile comes in handy: it’s a bluetooth device that helps you keep track of your stuff. It comes in a sleek, unobtrusive and compact size, which attaches to things like your keys or your wallet. With the Tile app, every time you misplace something you simply tap to find it. Go to tile.com/timecrafting to shop the limited edition collection right now – and finally stop losing your stuff.
This episode is sponsored by Fundrise. Fundrise is an investing platform that makes investing in high-quality, high-potential real estate as easy as investing in your favourite stock or mutual fund. Whether you’re looking to add stable cash flow via dividends or prefer long-term growth through appreciation, Fundrise has you covered. Fundrise’s team of real estate professionals carefully vets and actively manages all of their real estate projects. And with their easy-to-use website you can track your portfolio’s performance and watch as properties across the country are acquired, improved, and operated via asset updates. Want to get started? All you need to is visit fundrise.com/timecrafting to do that… and when you do you’ll have your first NINETY days of advisory fees waived. Start building your better portfolio with Fundrise today!
When I left my full-time job at Costco, it felt like a giant leap. So I was excited to have Joe Barnes on the show to hear more about his Three Paths to pursuing your dream job. He set up Escape The System – a resource for entrepreneurs, dreamers, and world changers. He’s also the author of Do The Work You Love. By freeing your mind from society’s conditioning and finding a passion, you’re on track to living the life you want.
Tune in as we learn how to escape boring jobs, how he strategically became an author – his dream job – and what he learnt from two ridiculous tennis matches.
- The boring job John did (0:32)
- What do we actually mean by “choosing your passion”? (2:46)
- The Three Paths (4:16)
- Advice to the adventurous who go ‘all-in’ with a change (7:20)
- How to stop your passions from fizzling away (9:52)
- Dealing with fear when making the career change (12:32)
- Advice to people who think it’s ‘past their time’ (21:15)
- Lessons learnt from being a tennis coach (25:27)
- Joe’s relationship with time (29:09)
“There’s something inside of you that needs expression.”– Joe Barnes
- Do The Work You Love | Amazon
- Episode 229: Exploring Digital Minimalism with Cal Newport
- Episode 73: Deep Work with Cal Newport
- So Good They Can’t Ignore You | Amazon
- ‘Follow Your Passion’ Is Bad Advice
- Beau Carnes’ blog post
- Episode 251: Being a Late Bloomer with Rich Karlgaard
- Episode 234: Bolder with Carl Honoré
- What 2 Ridiculous Tennis Matches Taught Me About Mental Toughness And Life
- The Inner Game of Tennis | Amazon
- The Score Takes Care of Itself | Amazon
- Screw The System YouTube Channel
- Joe’s Instagram
Enjoy the show? Want to keep up with the podcast? You can subscribe to the podcast feed by clicking the “Share” button in the player above – and you can share it further using the same button as well. You can take things even one step further by rating and reviewing the show wherever you listen to podcasts. (FYI: I use Overcast on iOS.)
Do you want ideas, insights, and information on how to craft your time in just one weekly email?
Then you want ATTN: sent to you.
ATTN: is a weekly digest from Productivityist that delivers a week's worth of content in a nice little package directly to your inbox. Just enter your email to subscribe.