I haven’t talked to Carl Honoré for some time so it was a real treat when he joined me on this episode of The Productivityist Podcast. Carl is the author of such books as “In Praise of Slow” and “The Slow Fix”, and his TEDx Talk on slowness has been viewed 2.7 million times. His latest book “Bolder: Making the Most of our Longer Lives”, tackles aging and the stigma around it.
This episode is brought to you by the University of California Irvine, Division of Continuing Education. Established in 1962, UCI offers education for adult learners in Orange County. But thanks to technology, their courses and certification programs in various fields are now available worldwide and online for just about anyone who’s interested. Visit ce.uci.edu/podcast to learn more about the programs available.
Specifics that we covered on the show include:
- A decades’ worth of catching up with Carl (01:54)
- Carl’s hockey game epiphany about aging and the cult of youth (04:03)
- Moving away from the life path straitjacket and towards defining one’s life via values and tastes (07:12)
- Riding the gray wave: A take on aging, retirement, and focusing on what matters (11:10)
- Embracing technology, continuous learning, and busting myths that come with aging (15:59)
- Counterintuitive ways of living bolder towards happiness and well-being (19:23)
- Watch your words: How language can impact how we live our lives (23:07)
- The play on words on the book title Bolder and what it aims to accomplish (25:40)
“What’s happening now culturally is we’re throwing all those pieces up in the air and they’re coming back down again in a way that gives people the freedom, permission, space, and right to define what their life is going to look like at every stage.” ~ Carl Honoré
- Bolder: Making the Most of our Longer Lives | Amazon
- Steve Dotto | The Productivityist Podcast
- Carl Honoré
This episode offers a refreshing take on aging and serves to make each one of us a little bit more optimistic about what it can bring. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.
Enjoy the show? Want to keep up with the podcast? You can subscribe to the podcast feed by clicking the “Share” button in the player above – and you can share it further using the same button as well. You can take things even one step further by rating and reviewing the show wherever you listen to podcasts. Thanks for listening and supporting the show!
Do you want ideas, insights, and information on how to craft your time in just one weekly email?
Then you want ATTN: sent to you.
ATTN: is a weekly digest from Productivityist that delivers a week's worth of content in a nice little package directly to your inbox. Just enter your email to subscribe.