In this episode, I dive into an enriching conversation with the renowned Marshall Goldsmith, a giant in the field of productivity and leadership. It was only a little over a year ago that I first engaged with Marshall, but his words were so inspiring and informative that I felt compelled to revisit the conversation. Marshall’s groundbreaking book, “Triggers: Creating Behavior That Lasts — Becoming the Person You Want to Be,” has been profoundly influential in shaping my understanding of productivity.
Marshall’s stature in the field is simply unparalleled. As a two-time winner of the Thinkers 50 Award for the #1 Leadership Thinker in the World, the #1 Executive Coach, and a Top Ten Business Thinker for eight years running, his insights carry incredible weight. Marshall’s books, including “The Earned Life: Lose Regret, Choose Fulfillment,” are highly esteemed in the leadership space. His work has been translated into 32 languages, sold over 2.5 million copies, and recognized by Amazon as among the Top 100 Leadership & Success Books Ever Written.
Key Discussion Points
- Our identity is largely shaped by our daily habits and rituals.
- Rituals act as the foundation for mindfulness and personal growth.
- Journaling is a powerful tool for self-inquiry, especially during stressful experiences.
- The stories we tell ourselves influence our perception of reality.
- 98% of the time, the problem we think we’re facing is not the actual problem; it’s something deeper.
- Recording and reviewing our thoughts can bring clarity and awareness.
- Visual reminders and an accountability system are practical strategies to implement these principles.
- Self-accountability can be enhanced by formulating questions about our experiences and having someone read them back to us.
During our conversation, Marshall shared his insights on what it means to live an “earned life” and the concept of the “satisfied” mind. We delved into the role willpower plays in our lives and how it contributes to achieving this coveted “earned life”. As always, speaking with Marshall was an absolute delight, his words resonating with profound wisdom and practical advice. I trust you’ll enjoy and benefit from this conversation just as much as I did.
Want to support the show? Then take a look at our podcast sponsors page.
There you will find a variety of products and services designed to help you lead a more productive life.
Links Worth Exploring
- Connect with Marshall: Website | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube
- Marshall’s Book: The Earned Life: Lose Regret, Choose Fulfillment
- Recommended by Marshall: The Checklist Manifesto: How to Get Things Right
- Watch this film: American Underdog
- Related Conversation: Episode 203: The Evolution of Getting Things Done with David Allen
- Related Blog Post: The Power of Bit by Bit Productivity
Want to support the podcast? Beyond checking out our sponsors, you can subscribe to the show wherever you listen to podcasts. Click on any of the links below to make that happen.
You can also click on this link to paste the podcast feed into your podcast app of choice.
Thanks again for listening to A Productive Conversation. See you later.