Michael Hyatt returns to the show for this excellent episode of the program. Michael is the Chief Executive Officer and founder of Michael Hyatt & Company. He is also the author of several New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and USA Today bestselling books, including Platform, Living Forward, Your Best Year Ever, Free to Focus, and his newest book The Vision-Driven Leader.
This episode is brought to you by SaneBox. SaneBox is the easiest way to automatically organize your inbox and keep it that way forever. SaneBox sorts your emails for you, keeping unimportant email out of your inbox, so you can focus on what matters. See how SaneBox can help you reclaim your time and attention with a free trial. Visit sanebox.com/timecrafting today to start your free trial and get a $25 credit.
This episode is brought to you by the University of California Irvine Division of Continuing Education. Established in 1962, UCI offers education for adult learners in Orange County. But thanks to technology, their courses and certification programs in various fields are now available worldwide and online for just about anyone who’s interested. You can get 15% off of one (1) course by visiting http://ce.uci.edu/productivityist then enter the promo code timecrafting. Make sure you take advantage of this limited time offer as it is only valid until July 31, 2020 at 11:59 pm. (Please note that this discount is for almost all of the certificate programs. The exceptions only include coding boot camps, international programs, teacher credentialing programs, and test prep courses.)
Michael has scaled multiple companies over the years, including a $250M publishing company with 700+ employees and his own leadership development company that has grown over 60% year over year for the past 4 years. Under his leadership, Michael Hyatt & Company has been featured in the Inc. 5000 list of the fastest-growing companies in America for three years in a row. He enjoys The Double Win with his wife of 40+ years, five daughters, and nine grandchildren.
I spoke with Michael about the journey he took to get to this book, what it takes to become a vision driven leader, the importance of having a vision, and much more. As always, it’s fantastic to speak with Michael about his work – he’s someone who truly embodies everything that he delivers to the world – and I know you’ll get plenty out of this discussion.
- Michael talks about why he wrote this book now and if it was a progression of his past books or if now was just the right time (0:50)
- What does vision mean to Michael? (1:42)
- We discuss the difference between a manager and leader (5:03)
- Michael shares whether or not you must use the steps to become a vision driven leader in order… or if that is not all that important (7:38)
- What can you do to help a leader who has so many ideas and visions execute those ideas and visions? (10:03)
- Michael talks about what he would do if someone isn’t really understanding (or interested) in “The Vision Script” that a vision driven leader attempts to bring to life (17:43)
- This is the person that Michael considers to be a vision driven leader that he looks up to (22:40)
- We talk further about the term “vision zag” (25:02)
- What are some things people can take away from the book that they can use if they are not running a company but simply want to run their lives better?(27:40)
- This is the first step to becoming a vision driven leader (29:25)
“Leadership by its very definition means that you’re heading towards a destination and if you’re not clear on the destination you really aren’t gonna be leading people anywhere.“– Michael Hyatt
- The Productivityist Podcast #239: Free to Focus with Michael Hyatt
- Living Forward: A Proven Plan to Stop Drifting and Get the Life You Want
- A Special Offer from Michael Hyatt for You (Bonuses available until 2020/04/04)
- The Productivityist Podcast Pick of the Week: That Creative Life
Enjoy the show? Want to keep up with the podcast? You can subscribe to the podcast feed by clicking the “Share” button in the player above – and you can share it further using the same button as well. You can take things even one step further by rating and reviewing the show wherever you listen to podcasts. (FYI: I use Overcast on iOS.)
Do you want ideas, insights, and information on how to craft your time in just one weekly email?
Then you want ATTN: sent to you.
ATTN: is a weekly digest from Productivityist that delivers a week's worth of content in a nice little package directly to your inbox. Just enter your email to subscribe.