The guest for this week’s podcast episode is my friend Zachary Sexton, formerly of Asian Efficiency.
We speak about the science and art of journaling as a productivity practice. He shares his insights on journaling, and expounds on the medium and apps he uses, the structure of his journal, and the purpose it serves him to reflect on his past and plan for the future.
This episode includes narratives about:
- The idea that journaling is a teenage girl thing, the reason why both Zack and Mike are doing this now (02:40), and how long has Zack been journaling (14:06).
- How Facebook is basically public journaling and how to translate this into a private and personal log (05:43) for systems improvement, habit building, and daily planning (06:20, 11:57).
- The structure Zack and Mike follow with their respective journals (03:17, 09:43).
- Why Zack decided on using the digital medium for journaling (14:36) and his hacks to make it faster and more efficient (18:55).
- The practice of reviewing journals by the end of the year (15:15), and how Zack maintains accountability to ensure he is moving towards the direction and objectives he has set (26:46).
- Zack’s tips for people contemplating to start journaling (15:54) and the benefits of the practice in terms of archiving, reflecting, planning, and decision-making (20:11).
- Zack’s journaling exercise together with his fiancée, who has always been interested in journaling but hasn’t just gotten around to doing it (23:50).
- 2 Experts Share Exactly How to Use a Productivity Journal (& Increase Productivity by 23%) | The Fizzle Show 099
- The Simple 10-Minute Daily Activity (Backed by Science) That Could Make You More Productive Forever | Fizzle
- The Productivityist Small Wins Journaling Challenge | Productivityist
- How to Start (and Keep) a Journal that Works for You | Productivityist
- The Way I Journal: Sven Fechner | Day One
- Using Drafts to journal in Day One | Jeff Taekman’s WiPPP
- Five Minute Journal TextExpander Snippets | Chuck Grimmett
- Asian Efficiency
- The Productivity Show | A Podcast by Asian Efficiency
- The Simple Guide To Managing Your Email More Effectively | Asian Efficiency
- Bookworm | Podcast Book Club
- Productive Journaling: Writing Your Way to Success With Evernote | Zachary Sexton
- Home | Zachary Sexton
- Newsletter | Zachary Sexton
- Zachary Sexton (@zwsexton) | Twitter
- Zach Sexton (@z.w.sexton) | Instagram
If you enjoy The Productivityist Podcast I’d appreciate a rating and review in iTunes or your podcasting platform of choice. It helps people find the show easier and will help me make improvements on the show by seeing what you have to say.