Victoria is getting major junior hockey after a 17 year absence, and the locals get to name the team. There’s a choice of names available to pick from, and I’m lobbying hard for the team to be named the Victoria Force. I’ve got 17 reasons (matching the amount of years we’ve been waiting for this) as to why the “force” should be with Victoria’s new hockey franchise.
Here we go…
- We could have a Jawa as a mascot.1
- Fans could sing “The Nub Nub Song” to celebrate an impending victory rather than that tired old “Hey, Hey Goodbye” tune.
- The arena’s loudspeaker could play sound bites like “I’ve got a bad feeling about this,” when the team gets penalized.
- Rather than red or green sirens, they could use lightsabers of the same colour.
- Obi-Wan Kenobi’s voice will be played before each penalty shot to inspire accuracy: “Use the force…”
- Nothing but John Williams’ iconic score is heard as each Victoria player is announced and hits the ice before the game starts.
- Foam “force choke” hands for sale instead of the traditional #1 foam hands.
- When a player gets traded, fans can say he turned to the Dark Side.
- Since it’s a junior league, all of our players can be referred to as Padawans.
- Four words: Darth Vader goalie mask.
- Four other words: Darth Maul goalie mask.2
- Finally, a glowing puck would make sense.
- No matter who the coach is, his nickname would be “Yoda.”
- New nickname for the Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre: The Death Star.
- For anime fans, there’s a ton of Gatchaman/G-Force references that’ll work, too.
- When we win the Memorial Cup, Carrie Fisher can come to town to give all of the players their medals.3
- It’s the coolest-sounding and most original of the options given.
If you’re considering one of those other names, just look deeply at this post for a moment and read the following…
“Those aren’t the names you’re looking for.”
1 Don’t even think about an Ewok, people.
2 To be honest, there are countless other great design ideas for goalie masks, such as Boba Fett, Stormtroopers, etc.
3 Except for our goon. He’d be like our Chewbacca. Sort of.