We all need to write more crappy first drafts – that’s the way to truly get unstuck from writing. In this episode I learn from Daphne Gray-Grant about her inspiring writing process.
From my experience of writing a book, I know the process can easily get overwhelming. Which is why I was refreshed to hear about the need to write “crappy first drafts” from today’s guest, Daphne Gray-Grant. Aside from being a prolific writer, Daphne is also a coach to many writers who want to learn to write faster, better. She started her career in the newspaper business and quickly learnt that 80% of your writing is the process you have set up – 20% is the actual writing.
Tune in as we explore the lessons she’s taught to hundreds of her clients. We discuss mind mapping techniques, the joy of paper, and her love for treadmill desks.
- On treadmill desks and Daphne’s love of walking
- The draw to editing
- Daphne’s writing mindset and routine
- Is there a good timeline for writing a book?
- Ways to beat mind map overwhelm
- The impact of writing by keyboard vs by hand
- Who can benefit from dictations?
- The most common mistakes people make when mind mapping
“A mind map is not an outline nor an organizational tool – it’s an inspirational tool”– Daphne Gray-Grant
- Episode 288: How to Be Awesome at Your Job with Pete Mockaitis
- Daphne Gray-Grant’s interview on ‘How To Be Awesome At Your Job’
- Gabriele Rico’s Clustering
- Writing the Natural Way | Amazon
- Episode 238: How to Keep Going with Austin Kleon
Enjoy the show? Want to keep up with the podcast? You can subscribe to the podcast feed by clicking the “Share” button in the player above – and you can share it further using the same button as well. You can take things even one step further by rating and reviewing the show wherever you listen to podcasts. (FYI: I use Overcast on iOS.)
Do you want ideas, insights, and information on how to craft your time in just one weekly email?
Then you want ATTN: sent to you.
ATTN: is a weekly digest from Productivityist that delivers a week's worth of content in a nice little package directly to your inbox. Just enter your email to subscribe.