On this episode of the program I’m joined by David Marquet, best-selling author, student of leadership and organizational design, former nuclear submarine Commander, and named one of the Top 100 Leadership Speakers by Inc. Magazine.
This episode is brought to you by the University of California Irvine Division of Continuing Education. Established in 1962, UCI offers education for adult learners in Orange County. But thanks to technology, their courses and certification programs in various fields are now available worldwide and online for just about anyone who’s interested. You can get 15% off of one (1) course by visiting http://ce.uci.edu/productivityist then enter the promo code timecrafting. Make sure you take advantage of this limited time offer as it is only valid until July 31, 2020 at 11:59 pm. (Please note that this discount is for almost all of the certificate programs. The exceptions only include coding boot camps, international programs, teacher credentialing programs, and test prep courses.)
David’s new book, Leadership is Language, is a re-engineering of the language we use at work and a new playbook for leaders. “It’s time to ditch the Industrial Age playbook of leadership.” This book provides insights on how choosing your words can dramatically improve decision-making and execution skills for teams.
We talk about the concept that David explores in this book (that leadership is language), why this is as much a playbook as anything else, what leaders need to work on in order to take their leadership skills to the next level, and much more. I enjoyed our conversation and I’m certain you’ll get plenty out of it.
- What lead you to writing this book and why is it so important? (0:47)
- David explains the terms “red work” and “blue work” (4:08)
- Why do you consider this book to be a playbook? (7:40)
- What does David mean by the “be good self“ and the “get better self“? (18:55)
- What can someone do to start applying leadership as language today (25:17)
“Start your question with the word ‘how’.“– David Marquet
- Leadership Is Language: The Hidden Power of What You Say and What You Don’t
- Turn the Ship Around!: A True Story of Turning Followers into Leaders
- Intent-Based Leadership
- David on Twitter: @ldavidmarquet
- Leadership Nudges
- The Productivityist Podcast Pick of the Week: Help Me Pick Future Ones by emailing me at podcast at productivityist dot com
Enjoy the show? Want to keep up with the podcast? You can subscribe to the podcast feed by clicking the “Share” button in the player above – and you can share it further using the same button as well. You can take things even one step further by rating and reviewing the show wherever you listen to podcasts. (FYI: I use Overcast on iOS.)
Do you want ideas, insights, and information on how to craft your time in just one weekly email?
Then you want ATTN: sent to you.
ATTN: is a weekly digest from Productivityist that delivers a week's worth of content in a nice little package directly to your inbox. Just enter your email to subscribe.