On this episode I speak with Steven L. Blue. Steven is the best-selling author of five critically acclaimed books that target executives, leaders, entrepreneurs, and anyone seeking to learn the secrets of success in the corporate world.Steven’s latest book, Metamorphosis: From Rust-Belt to High-Tech in a 21st Century World, is a detailed blueprint for CEOs and senior leaders to transform their businesses from failing rust-belt companies with small margins into high-tech leaders with superior profits.
I spoke with Steven about the shift from rust-belt to high-tech products, the patience involved when making a change, and the process of metamorphosis as a whole. There’s a lot to unpack in this episode and plenty of lessons that Steven offers that you should heed when undergoing organizational – or even individual – metamorphosis.
- What metamorphosis means to Steven – and what Steven wanted to title the book in the first place
- Steven discusses the idea of “innovational potential”
- The surprising model that Steven believes you should follow when going through a metamorphosis
- We talk about disruptive thinking and how important it is to adopt it
- Would Steven hire a Chief Innovation Officer?
- This is what Steven had his staff trained in years ago that has helped the company out in incredible ways
- The impact Steven feels change has on productivity – and how he suggests a company combat any fears that arise from an initial loss in productivity when instituting change
- We talk about the many forms that innovation can show up in your business and where he has it show up in Steven’s company
- When and how does scale play a role in the metamorphosis of a company?
- This is one of the toughest aspects of making change… no matter the size of your business
- How much time does Steven spend in the planning phase?
- Outsourcing is key – but there’s an important piece when you’re outsourcing to external contractors that Steven believes is a must
- This is the biggest piece of advice that Steven says will help you get a decent start when you decide to undergo a metamorphosis
“Innovation should be everybody’s job.”– Steven L. Blue
- Metamorphosis by Steven L. Blue
- Steven’s Website
- Steven on Twitter
- The Productivityist Podcast Pick of the Week: Get Yourself Optimized
Even though you may not be running a manufacturing company like Steven does, there are still great takeaways regarding change that you can use in your own business – and life. Change is never easy but if you stand still then others will pass you by along the way… and you’ll spend time playing catch-up instead of investing it in what you need and want to be investing it in. If your intention is to make change that matters, then you need to plan for it so that you can be as ready as possible for whatever that new route will throw your way.
Enjoy the show? Want to keep up with the podcast? You can subscribe to the podcast feed by clicking the “Share” button in the player above – and you can share it further using the same button as well. You can take things even one step further by rating and reviewing the show wherever you listen to podcasts. (FYI: I use Overcast on iOS.)
Do you want ideas, insights, and information on how to craft your time in just one weekly email?
Then you want ATTN: sent to you.
ATTN: is a weekly digest from Productivityist that delivers a week's worth of content in a nice little package directly to your inbox. Just enter your email to subscribe.