On this episode, I speak with my friend Jason Zook. Jason is the author of several books, including Own Your Weird: An Oddly Effective Way for Finding Happiness in Work, Life, and Love.
Jason Zook is an unconventional entrepreneur. Tired of living a life that felt prescribed to him by society, Jason used his out-of-the-box thinking and ingenuity to create multiple profitable Internet-based businesses. From making $1m wearing sponsored t-shirts for a living with his IWearYourShirt business, to selling his last name twice and eventually even selling his future, Jason is all about owning his weird!
- Why this book needed to come out now
- Jason and I discuss the resonance of the word “weird” over “different”
- What’s difficult about adopting the mindset that being weird isn’t just okay but how it can help you thrive
- What (and who) is this book really about?
- How do you pay attention to your “weird” above all of the other noise that’s out there?
- We talk about testing assumptions and how Jason does that
- Why Jason can’t work with a personal trainer to help him reach his fitness goals
- I reveal this episode’s Productivityist Podcast Pick of The Week
- Why in the world did Jason decide to “sell his future” and how did it work out for him?
- Does Jason look for weirdness when deciding to pursue projects?
- This is what Jason said in his book that you can do right now to make your life better
- Does every aspect of an initiative Jason pursues have to hit all three of his values?
- Jason explains how challenging it was to write the “how to” aspect of the book
“You cannot just go from 0 to 100 percent and be successful and have sustainability with it.”– Jason Zook
- Get Own Your Weird
- The Productivityist Podcast #258: What You Can Learn from Napoleon Hill with Jeffrey Gitomer
- Wandering Aimfully
The big thing that you need to think about around “owning your weird” is that you should absolutely OWN IT. I’ve found that when I embrace my weirdness that it hasn’t led me astray – and has actually helped me forge a path that works even better for me. It’s definitely worked for Jason and I’m certain it will do the same for you. (You’ve also got a book out there now that can help you out if you need it!)
Enjoy the show? Want to keep up with the podcast? You can subscribe to the podcast feed by clicking the “Share” button in the player above – and you can share it further using the same button as well. You can take things even one step further by rating and reviewing the show wherever you listen to podcasts. (FYI: I use Overcast on iOS.)
Do you want ideas, insights, and information on how to craft your time in just one weekly email?
Then you want ATTN: sent to you.
ATTN: is a weekly digest from Productivityist that delivers a week's worth of content in a nice little package directly to your inbox. Just enter your email to subscribe.