On this episode, I speak with Mike McDerment, the co-founder and CEO of FreshBooks. FreshBooks is the world’s #1 cloud accounting software for self-employed professionals. Built in 2003 after he accidentally saved over an invoice, Mike spent 3.5 years growing FreshBooks from his parents’ basement. Since then, over 24 million people have used FreshBooks to save time billing, and collect billions of dollars. A lover of the outdoors, Mike has been bitten so many times it’s rumoured he’s the first human to have developed an immunity to mosquitoes.
This episode is brought to you by the University of California Irvine Division of Continuing Education. Established in 1962, UCI offers education for adult learners in Orange County. But thanks to technology, their courses and certification programs in various fields are now available worldwide and online for just about anyone who’s interested. Get 15% off of one (1) course by visiting ce.uci.edu/productivityist then enter the promo code: timecrafting.
This episode is also brought to you by Blinkist. Fit reading into your life with key takeaways from the world’s best nonfiction books in text and audio. Blinkist now connects 6 million readers worldwide. Visit https://www.blinkist.com/timecrafting and start your 7-day free trial today!
- The history and background of FreshBooks (3:56)
- What has FreshBooks become and where is it at right now? (5:46)
- The equation between time and money and what a “time barrier” is (6:48)
- Quantitative productivity versus qualitative productivity (13:11)
- Billing by the hour versus billing by value (16:03)
- Why did Mike start a secret company to compete with his existing one? (18:12)
- The value of the secret company experiment and the time spent doing the experiment (23:23)
- Spending time with exploration and experimentation (28:16)
- Approaching life on a complementary lens (30:47)
- How does Mike McDerment approach his work? (33:46)
“With the time barrier in the book, the premise is around called value based billing. So instead of charging how much time you spent on something instead charge the value you bring. The two don’t always go together. I think that’s the thing that people don’t understand.” ~ Mike McDerment
- Book: Breaking the Time Barrier – How to Unlock Your True Earning Potential
Enjoy the show? Want to keep up with the podcast? You can subscribe to the podcast feed by clicking the “Share” button in the player above – and you can share it further using the same button as well. You can take things even one step further by rating and reviewing the show wherever you listen to podcasts. Thanks for listening and supporting the show!
Do you want ideas, insights, and information on how to craft your time in just one weekly email?
Then you want ATTN: sent to you.
ATTN: is a weekly digest from Productivityist that delivers a week's worth of content in a nice little package directly to your inbox. Just enter your email to subscribe.