This episode is brought to you by GanttPRO. It is an interactive online Gantt chart software for planning and controlling multiple projects at once. You can split your projects into groups of tasks and subtasks. Aside from that, you can also organize and schedule tasks, set durations and dependencies between them. You can create a Gantt chart to set accurate estimates and manage your resources wisely. Go to https://ganttpro.com/go/TimeCrafting and get a $50 off when you sign up to GanttPRO today!
Specifics that we covered on the show include:
- Background on who Justin Kerr and how the book, How to Be Great at Your Job came to be (3:01)
- On the term “efficiency monster” (4:50)
- On being caught with the email trap (6:58)
- The processes put in place to allow a person to be more efficient (7:49)
- On how to over-communicate that works best for a company (9:35)
- On building credibility over time (13:30)
- On doing work by breaking them into smaller components (15:50)
- On giving updates (17:30)
- On getting so far ahead and in return getting more work thrust upon you (23:20)
- How does Justin manages his time (26:40)
- The best thing about the book (32:40)
“Always be giving the updates because keep in mind the people you worked with are human beings and a lot of us can lose the side of that. We get titles and VPs and assistants but they are human beings – they get nervous, they have their own concerns, they are worried about their own boss – all of these different things. So telling people what is going on is just gonna lower the temperature a little bit.” ~ Justin Kerr
The key takeaways from this episode include: how to work with other human beings, how to balance life and work, what to do if someone at work hates you, and (of course) the critical skill of how to win an “email fight”.
Enjoy the show? Want to keep up with the podcast? You can subscribe to the podcast feed by clicking the “Share” button in the player above – and you can share it further using the same button as well. You can take things even one step further by rating and reviewing the show wherever you listen to podcasts. Thanks for listening and supporting the show!
Do you want 7 days of ideas, insights, and information on how to craft your time in just 1 weekly email?
Then you want The Dailies.
The Dailies is a weekly digest from Productivityist that delivers a week's worth of content in a nice little package directly to your inbox. Just enter your email to subscribe.