This episode’s guest is an amazing woman that I’ve been “pursuing” to get into the podcast for a while. She’s the host and producer of The Pursuit, a talk show and podcast where she interviews influencers and the who’s who of business.
Kelsey Humphreys is a media entrepreneur, success coach and consultant, a motivational journalist who’s written for Entrepreneur Magazine and The Huffington Post (among others), and the author of the book Go Solo: How to Quit the Job You Hate and Start a Small Business You Love.
After finding that the content available on success and entrepreneurship was not very “beginner-friendly”, she made it her mission to break it down for those still doing the grind, helping people not to give up in the crucial first few years of their pursuits. (Kelsey also has a background in performance arts which could be another reason I gravitated toward her content.)
Our conversation revolved around what happens on her show and her plans for it. Some of the things we talked about include:
- The behind-the-scenes action in producing her show, the technical issues, choosing between production quality and valuable content, and learning that perfection can hold one back from productivity.
- Her vision of hosting a traveling talk show and how she planned to set it apart from other podcasts and YouTube shows.
- The show’s humble beginnings – shooting with an action cam, getting help from volunteers, family, and friends, investing on equipment, and building Kelsey’s team.
- What Kelsey perceives as the “value-added experience” by interviewing people live, and why she prefers to go to the where the guests are.
- Her interesting experience interviewing Kathy Griffin.
- Pre-game rituals, her staple questions, why she prefers not to bring her notes with her during the interview, and self-reminders to keep her in control of the interviews and provide quality content for her audience.
- Giving up on college dreams, ticking off goals one by one, and her vision to become the “Ellen of entrepreneurship and success”.
- Wanting to offer something new to the audience in the area of success and entrepreneurship through the book she’s currently writing.
- The surreal experiences of landing interviews with Tony Robbins and Larry King.
- The advice Kelsey imparts for people who have been pushing down their hopes and dreams.
Thanks for tuning in! Until next time, remember to stop guessing…and start going.